Subject: Another Kernel Question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: I-Jong Lin <ijonglin@EE.Princeton.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/22/1998 04:08:12
Dear Kernel Hackers,

   Well, it looks like I've gotten a good portion of the Carrera040
accelerator start-up code now embedded into my kernel.  The problem
is that there are a few assumptions that the accelerator code
needs that may not be true for NetBSD.

1.  When the code hits the start symbol, does logical 0 = physical 0
    as far as memory locations are concerned?  If it doesn't, how
    can I assure that a mapping like this exists temporarily?

2.  If NetBSD is somehow confronted with a Mac IIcx that seems to
    have an '040 running in it, will kernel be able to handle it?
    Or will it just crash?

3.  The code that I'm adding effectively is just inserted after the
    start symbol.  I need to somehow debug this code, so is there
    any way of having some side effect that I can notice so that I know
    where the code is going?   Someone mentioned GRAYBARS, but I don't
    think the video is set up by then...

Anyways, thanks in advance, and hopefully I can get this Carrera040
accelerator to work w/ NetBSD.

I-Jong