Subject: Re: -current breakage
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/20/1998 09:12:10
Michael R. Zucca wrote:

> I also think UVM is toasted. Trying to boot with the last snapshot kernel
> worked but after a little bit of playing around in single user mode,
> like trying to run vi, would crash the system. Somtimes the part of the file
> system would be munged. One time the file system was trashed so bad the
> installer crashed trying to access it and I had to reformat the partition.

Yes, this is very similar to my experience with current kernels as of
July 13th and 15th that I built.  I get near random panics and freezes
with these kernels.  One that's easily reproducible is with Emacs 20.2
(again); the box will panic or locks up if Emacs exits (either by
normal exit or by system shutdown).  Usually locks up.

Sometimes kernel panics (usually with a MMU fault), and "show map"
command in ddb will almost always cause a MMU fault in kernel.  But if
it doesn't, the box completely locks up and I can't even drop into ddb
(fortunately the three finger salute works).  Looks as though it's in
a (near) tight loop at high spl (but shouldn't mask the level 7
interrupt...  hmmm).

Oops, I can't find my handcopied ddb output...  I'll send it in next
time it panics.

Ken