Subject: Re: -current breakage
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/1998 19:53:21
Let me also add that my IIci with 80MB RAM is running up-to-yesterday
-current including UVM and PMAP_NEW, with no ill effects.  Of course,
with my 1GB swap partition, I had to bump NKMEMCLUSTERS to 8192 to
handle the size of the UVM swap data structures.  And it's also a
customized kernel with no unnecessary drivers.

BTW, it's also running an updated version of my SLOTMAN changes;  for
those of you waiting for an update, it will only take another day to
finish building the distribution kernels!  Check it out at

	ftp://ftp.whooppee.com/pub/slotman/

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> for what it's worth, all 4 systems i have here -- IIx, IIci, IIfx, and
> LC476 -- are running up-to-the-minute current, UVM-enabled kernels.  if
> you have lots of RAM and/or run processes that tend to consume large
> amounts of RAM, you should strongly consider bumping NKMEMCLUSTERS to some
> value between 2048 and 8192.  (as i rcall, the default for kernels without
> the GATEWAY option is 512, and with GATEWAY it's 1024.)
>
> --scott
>
> PS - i am not changing any of the default VM parameters, but it's worth
> noting that these kernels all strip out virtually all unnecessary code for
> my systems (no unused drivers, and only the few protocols and file systems
> that are useful on each system).
>
> -> Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/ <-

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |