Subject: Re: non U.S. keyboards
To: Fabrizio Catalano <cata003@pn.itnet.it>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1998 13:11:36
Fabrizio Catalano wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm running netBSD 1.3.2 on a Q700, I like the OS but my keyboard is the
> italian version and sometimes I have problems finding the right key.
> There is way to have a custom keyboard layout, or is necessary to built a
> new one? Please tell me how to do.

It depends on what kind of user interface you're using the keyboard under.
If you're using the console, you will have to change
src/sys/arch/mac68k/dev/keyboard.h  (I think that's where it is), and then
recompile the kernel.  If you're using 'dt', it might already have an
Italian keyboard mapping, if not, you can look at one of the others and
recompile.  If you're using X, you can use xmodmap to change the
keymapping as appropriate.

Hopefully, some of this will be made easier with the introduction of
wscons.  The keymapping strategy for it is fairly straightforward, and I
have a copy of all of the Mac keymaps, I just need to find a way to
translate what I've got into something a little more useful for NetBSD :-)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation