Subject: Re: Powerbook status?
To: Michael Maciolek <mikem@centerline.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1998 11:56:37
I am not a PowerBook user so take my comments with a grain of salt.

At 10:48 AM -0700 7/12/98, Michael Maciolek wrote:
>(naive) question 1:
>On the 500-series, is it possible for a generally-skillful
>hobbyist to replace the 68LC040 chip with a fully-enabled 68040,
>and would the resulting system then be able to run full NetBSD,
>with graphics & X support?

I think so.  Make sure you get an '040 with the right clock speed and
package type of course.  There used to be companies that would do this for
you.  Also a lot of the current PowerBook support was done by some people
in Japan (where Apple sold a 500 series machine with a full '040).

>(naive) question 2:
>On the 100-series, is there any work-in-progress on support for
>either the built-in screen or the external monitor?

Don't know, but it seems like it should be one of the easier devices to add
support for.

>(naive) question 3:
>Is it OK to be asking these questions in this forum?  (if not, I
>am terribly sorry.  Please forgive my intrusion.)

I think these questions are perfectly appropriate.  I'm surprised no one
else has answered your post yet, but perhaps there aren't many people who
know.