Subject: Re: [Fwd: mount_ext2fs]
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1998 08:33:50
brian wildasinn wrote:

> On Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:44:06 +0200 Hauke Fath wrote:
>
> > At 17:44 Uhr +0200 12.07.1998, brian wildasinn wrote:
> >
> > > mount_ext2fs: /dev/sd1a on /sd1a: Operation not supported by device
> > >

> > >... when attempting to use mount_ext2fs. Anyone knows what's up with this
> > >filesytem
> > >tool "mount_ext2fs" for working with linux filesystems ?
> > >

> > What does "disklabel sd1" tell you?
> >
> Here' s the typescript from my session: The "disklabel sd1" is at the
> top.http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/maclinux/typescript

I think that Hauke was right and the NetBSD/mac68k kernel doesn't
recognize ext2fs filesystems as he states below:

> > The MacBSD kernel evaluates the native Macintosh partition table and fakes
> > a NetBSD disklabel from it. There is definitely no code in there to label a
> > partition as "ext2fs" or whatever, so if mount_ext2fs(8) looks at the
> > partition type, it sees "4.2BSD" and you lose.
> >
> > Yet another reason to implement native disklabels...

> I think Bill S. had the right idea to ask whether support for ext2 had
> been compiled into the kernel;

Actually, I think that it's in there by default on the 1.3.x GENERIC
kernel, but I can't be sure without looking.

> somthing I haven't done yet, but will
> attempt soon. Can I compile a kernel from sources of netbsd-1.3.1
> running on a netbsd-1.3 system?

Certainly.

> Doing a full install of netbsd-1.3.2
> over older versions takes me a long time as I only know how to do that
> from the Mac-side installer tools, and have only used the ftp way for
> packages.

Take a look at the INSTALL doc.  It describes how to do an upgrade from
within NetBSD.  And trust me, it takes only a fraction of the time it
takes to do it from MacOS.

> Which is a real pitty since I've dedicated a roomy 750 Megs to
> netbsd on  a gig hard disk.

Plenty of room :-)

> Has netbsd's site been set up to handle
> remote commands to build custom kernels which are then ftp'd? Sorry to
> ask this last question as it probably is in tyhe faqs somewhere.

Nope, it's not in the FAQ, probably because this doesn't exist quite yet,
and when it does, it won't be on any of the NetBSD servers, and it
probably also won't do m68k kernels for a while.  Check on the
current-users mailing list if you want more info (although I haven't seen
a posting in a while).

I hope this helps some.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation