Subject: [Fwd: mount_ext2fs]
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: brian wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1998 00:49:47
--------------EF64492B59EB8E67A696F8A0

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 00:48:32 +0000
From: brian wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
Subject: Re: mount_ext2fs

--------------6D0A5C536695AC8F38D9BEC4

On Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:44:06 +0200 Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 17:44 Uhr +0200 12.07.1998, brian wildasinn wrote:
>
> > mount_ext2fs: /dev/sd1a on /sd1a: Operation not supported by device
> >

> >... when attempting to use mount_ext2fs. Anyone knows what's up with this
> >filesytem
> >tool "mount_ext2fs" for working with linux filesystems ?
> >

> What does "disklabel sd1" tell you?

Here' s the typescript from my session: The "disklabel sd1" is at the
top.http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/maclinux/typescript

> The MacBSD kernel evaluates the native Macintosh partition table and fakes
> a NetBSD disklabel from it. There is definitely no code in there to label a
> partition as "ext2fs" or whatever, so if mount_ext2fs(8) looks at the
> partition type, it sees "4.2BSD" and you lose.
>
> Yet another reason to implement native disklabels...
>
>         hauke

There's no HFS partitions on the disk I tried to mount. Here's also the
output from the ext2 partioner and others for this ext2f file
system:http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/maclinux/

I think Bill S. had the right idea to ask whether support for ext2 had
been compiled into the kernel; somthing I haven't done yet, but will
attempt soon. Can I compile a kernel from sources of netbsd-1.3.1
running on a netbsd-1.3 system? Doing a full install of netbsd-1.3.2
over older versions takes me a long time as I only know how to do that
from the Mac-side installer tools, and have only used the ftp way for
packages. Which is a real pitty since I've dedicated a roomy 750 Megs to
netbsd on  a gig hard disk. Has netbsd's site been set up to handle
remote commands to build custom kernels which are then ftp'd? Sorry to
ask this last question as it probably is in tyhe faqs somewhere.

thanks for any help!

brian
bwildasi@csulb.edu

--------------6D0A5C536695AC8F38D9BEC4

<HTML>
On Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:44:06 +0200 Hauke Fath wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>
At 17:44 Uhr +0200 12.07.1998, brian wildasinn wrote:

> mount_ext2fs: /dev/sd1a on /sd1a: Operation not supported by device
>
>&nbsp;&nbsp;
>
>... when attempting to use mount_ext2fs. Anyone knows what's up with this
>filesytem
>tool "mount_ext2fs" for working with linux filesystems ?

What does "disklabel sd1" tell you?</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Here' s the typescript from my session: The "disklabel sd1" is at the top.">http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/maclinux/typescript
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>

The MacBSD kernel evaluates the native Macintosh partition table and fakes
a NetBSD disklabel from it. There is definitely no code in there to label a
partition as "ext2fs" or whatever, so if mount_ext2fs(8) looks at the
partition type, it sees "4.2BSD" and you lose.

Yet another reason to implement native disklabels...

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; hauke</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
There's no HFS partitions on the disk I tried to mount. Here's also the
output from the ext2 partioner and others for this ext2f file system:">http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/maclinux/

<P>I think Bill S. had the right idea to ask whether support for ext2 had
been compiled into the kernel;&nbsp;somthing I haven't done yet, but will
attempt soon. Can I compile a kernel from sources of netbsd-1.3.1 running
on a netbsd-1.3 system? Doing a full install of netbsd-1.3.2 over older
versions takes me a long time as I only know how to do that from the Mac-side
installer tools, and have only used the ftp way for packages. Which is
a real pitty since I've dedicated a roomy 750 Megs to netbsd on&nbsp; a
gig hard disk. Has netbsd's site been set up to handle remote commands
to build custom kernels which are then ftp'd? Sorry to ask this last question
as it probably is in tyhe faqs somewhere.

<P>thanks for any help!

<P>brian
<BR>bwildasi@csulb.edu
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>