Subject: Re: mount_ext2fs
To: None <bwildasi@hotmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1998 14:04:35
> /sbin/mount_ext2fs may need something!
> I'm thinking this because i've been using this same "device" hard drive
> previously
> for ffs filesystems running netbsd1.3. I just repartitioned it to try out
> maclinux,
> or linux-m68k operating systems. I thought it would be easier working in
> netbsd
> to do stuff like transfer tarball files and ftp, than work in macOS.
>
> I down loaded
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/sbin.tar.gz
> the 7-11-98 tar files for mount_ext2fs and did a fresh compile on it,  my
> system's
> /usr/include/ufs/ufs/ufsmount.h had to get tweaked to include a header
> file quota.h
> and this struct below had to be changed from an "incomplete" type (so sez
> the cc compiler ):
>

>      struct net_export um_export  /* export information */
>      struct net_export *um_export /* export information */
>
> I'm no programmer brain, so i just stuck in an asterisk to make this
> struct look like the other
> structs next to it. But the same error occurs ...

I bet this error might be that some of your includes files are out of date.

I thought ext2fs support was in 1.3, so you should use the 1.3 source. Well,
the 1.3.2 source at this point.

> > mount_ext2fs: /dev/sd1a on /sd1a: Operation not supported by device
> >

> ... when attempting to use mount_ext2fs. Anyone knows what's up with this
> filesytem
> tool "mount_ext2fs" for working with linux filesystems ?
>
> Help is appreciated!

Another problem might be that Linux has, for some bizzar reason, decided
that all on-disk file systems must be little-endian (they used to be host
byte order, as is common in *BSD). The current ext2fs code assumes they are
in host byte order, and so might be wrong for m68k linux.

Also, you do have ext2fs support compiled into your kernel, don't you?

Take care,

Bill