Subject: Q950 as a PPP server
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1998 10:20:47
I have two Mac IIcxes running NetBSD/mac86k as PPP dial in servers. These
computers work fine, but a little slow. I'm not getting very good
throughput on PPP connections through these machines. I also have a Q950
that I can get running with NetBSD also.* I'm guessing this computer should
be much faster, and be able to keep up with a pair of 33.6 modems.
Unfortunately, the I/O controllers for this computer are not yet supported
(if ever), so the serial ports don't work.

My thought is that I can get a NuBus serial card for this machine. I guess
that if such cards work on other Macs, they should work with the Q950. So
my questions are:

	What serial port NuBus cards work under NetBSD/mac68k?
		And where can I get one?

	Would there be any problem using these cards on a Q950?

	Would such a setup work faster than a IIcx on its built
	in serial ports?

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

* Since ADB and serial ports don't work on the Q950, you can't use either
the local console nor a serial console. Yet built in Ethernet works, so you
can telnet into the machine once it is configured just enough. I got the
Q950 to work by editing the appropriate files in /etc on the MacOS side and
copying them in with the installer. I also stole all the password files
from a IIcx running NetBSD. Once I got this far I could telnet into the
Q950 and do everything else on this machine remotely.