Subject: Re: ppp problems
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1998 09:10:13
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, SamMaEl wrote:

> 	Just last night I started having problems dialing up my ISP with
> PPP on my Q630. Minicom works just great, and dials the modem just fine,
> but when I try to use pppd, the transmitting light on my modem flashes for
> just a split second and then nothing happens. I've checked the processes
> with a ps -ax and chat IS being executed. All my logs tell me is that PPP
> was started and that the connect script failed. Lotsa help there ;-)

So you're hung up in chat? Try adding the "-v" option to wherever you
invoke chat, then "tail -f /var/log/messages", and watch where it loses.
Obviously, your chat script starts out OK, since it's able to dial. Maybe
your chat script was broken by some change on your ISP's end--a different
greeting, perhaps.

You can avoid that problem altogether by using PAP or CHAP. If your ISP
supports it, you end your chat script with something like this,

	CONNECT \c
	ogin:

and then chat gets out of the way. You also need a pap-secrets file, or
chap-secrets. The format is described in the pppd man page.