Subject: Re: Newbie questions
To: Kris Lander <kris@inquo.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/11/1998 09:51:35
>Hi all, I just installed NetBSD/Mac68k on my old Macintosh IIcx, and
>while I'm familiar with Unix operating systems, I just have a few
>questions.
>
>I tried to compile a simple HelloWorld program, (I'm still learning
>C/C++, so this is a real easy one for me to write and compile).  I guess
>everything compiled alright, I got an a.out file.  But, when I try to run
>the program to see if it worked I get a message that says:
>a.out: Command not found.
>I checked the permissions on the file, and everything seems alright, but
>I just can't run the program.  (Oh, I compiled it by using the command
>"g++ helloworld.C").

<<<Richard Anton responded>>>
<<<
>Probably the problem is that ./ isn't in your path.
>Try ./a.out, and this will work if that is the problem,
>and if so you'll probably want to add it to your path variable
>in your .cshrc file.
>(Or .bashrc or .profile or whatever your prefered poison may be.)

Actually, it's strongly recommended that you never have . in your command
path (although I do agree that it does make things easier sometimes). What
you should do is make your home directory be in your command path, or
wherever you expect to be making executables.

>Also, how do I give another user root or super user (are they the same
>thing) access?  Do I just make the UID 0 (zero)?

No, do NOT make them UID 0. You should make them a part of the group Wheel,
either by making them primary GID 0 or by adding them to your /etc/groups
file. Depending on exactly what you wish them to do, or how much you trust
them with your computer, you may wish to look into a utility like Sudo,
which gives them the ability to "su" but only for commands which you've
OK'd.

HTH
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.