Subject: Re: Is this a new disk problem?
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/09/1998 13:32:45
Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
> > At 7:36 PM -0700 7/7/98, SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:
> > >"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>  wrote:

> > >Henry> /dev/sd3b       /usr/vice       ffs     rw 0 2
> > >
> > >Does'nt this (sd3"b") make the problem?  I believe that the
> > >partition other than root is named sd?[d-h].  What partition
> > >type does sd3b have?  I might miss someting though...
> >
> > I don't understand how the MacBSD partition-mapping code works.  The idea
> > is that the first, bootable A/UX partition get's sd?a, the swap partion
> > gets sd?b, and everything else gets sd?[d-h] as you said.  In fact sd1 has
> > only one partition:  sd1b.  Disklabel does not even show a sd1c, but it
> > seems to work just fine as intended.  Disklabel on sd3 shows all partition
> > types as unknown and the second A/UX data partition shows as sd3b even
> > though there should be no swap partition on this disk.  There's something
> > wierd about the HFS partition on sd2, but I can't remember what at the
> > moment.
> >
> What does disklabel say for sd3?
>
> The only time non-swap partitions get stuffed in 'b' is if you have no
> UNIX partitions on the drive. A properly-flagged root or usr partition
> should not get stuffed into 'b'.

Are you sure about that Bill?  I thought that if you don't have a swap
partition on the drive, 'b' is used by the first available non-root
partition, then 'g' or whatever...of course, I'm not looking at the
disklabel code as I say this....

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation