Subject: Re: Is this a new disk problem?
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei@ps.yokogawa.co.jp>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/09/1998 13:03:30
At 7:36 PM -0700 7/7/98, SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:
>"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>  wrote:
>
>Henry> Perhaps I didn't make it clear that the above is my
>Henry> current, working fstab.  The old,
>Henry> 50%-failing-on-reboot fstab looked like this:
>
>Henry> /dev/sd0a       /               ffs     rw 1 1
>Henry> /dev/sd1b       none            swap    sw 0 0
>Henry> /dev/sd2d       /users          ffs     rw 1 2
>Henry> /dev/sd3a       /mirror         ffs     rw 1 2
>Henry> /dev/sd3b       /usr/vice       ffs     rw 0 2
>               ^
>
>Does'nt this (sd3"b") make the problem?  I believe that the
>partition other than root is named sd?[d-h].  What partition
>type does sd3b have?  I might miss someting though...

I don't understand how the MacBSD partition-mapping code works.  The idea
is that the first, bootable A/UX partition get's sd?a, the swap partion
gets sd?b, and everything else gets sd?[d-h] as you said.  In fact sd1 has
only one partition:  sd1b.  Disklabel does not even show a sd1c, but it
seems to work just fine as intended.  Disklabel on sd3 shows all partition
types as unknown and the second A/UX data partition shows as sd3b even
though there should be no swap partition on this disk.  There's something
wierd about the HFS partition on sd2, but I can't remember what at the
moment.

I'd love to go in and redo the partition-mapping code so it really
understands the Apple flags used by the A/UX version of HD SC Setup, but I
don't have time and what I would do would probably break with what all the
third-party formatters do anyway.  *sigh*