Subject: Re: LC040 Machine Status?
To: Willem de Lind van Wijngaarden <wdlvw@magma.ca>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1998 20:13:14
On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Willem de Lind van Wijngaarden wrote:

> Regards,
>    Now, about the 'broken LC040' support catagory into which so many
> machines fall, including possibly the Q605 of my immediate interest-
> does that mean these machines will boot
> A) if (and only if) the CPU is swapped for a full 68040, or
> B) does it mean that the machine boots as is, but will take an
> unsupported co-processor trap if any application code should attempt
> a floating point operation?

C) the machine will boot, but will do bizzare things w/o a full 68040.

The problem is that there are errors in the emulator for the LC040's.
Also, there are errors in some of the chips which we can't get around.

Both the 68881/2 emulator (for 020 and 030 machines w/o FPU) and the
floating point package for the full 040 (the fpsp, I think) work fine.

Take care,

Bill