Subject: Re: off topic: Mac Serial port speed & BSD
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1998 19:44:16
At 4:49 Uhr +0200 08.07.1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>>On Jul 4, 12:37pm, Roger Fischer wrote:
>>>On old Macs, (centris) I seem to remember that the serial port speed
>>>should not be set above 38400 because it just can't keep up.

>Similarly, to my knowlege, NetBSD will have a harder time keeping up with
>fast serial ports activity, because of the way the Mac's interrupts are set
>up (a la clock losing time).

No. The SCC interrupts at level 4 which is the highest level available on
most Macs (besides the NMI switch). Actually, for the three byte fifo and
the cpu power available, serial performance on NetBSD/mac68k rocks - thanks
to Dr. Bill. I run my IIci at 57k6 (ppp and uucp) with nothing more than a
silo overrun every few minutes.

	hauke