Subject: Re: Is this a new disk problem?
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1998 14:04:59
On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> A value of 0 tells fsck not to check the partition. It was my understanding
> upon reading the fstab man page that only values of 1 and 2 would be
> fsck'd. Man fstab tells you to use 1 for root, so that it's done first, &
> to use (exactly) 2 for the rest, & fsck would determine when to do them,
> according to whether they're on the same disk or not (i.e. separate
> partitions are done sequentially, separate disks are done in parallel). So
> whiule it's called the order for fsck, it really doesn't determine the
> order other than to do root first.

Odd, my /etc/fstab (below) works perfectly fine, though I suppose I might
not be getting the advantage of parallelism on my two drives.

/dev/sd0a	/	ffs	rw 1 1
/dev/sd1b	none	swap	sw 0 0
/dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0
/dev/sd1g       /usr    ffs     rw 0 2
/dev/cd0a	/cd-rom cd9660	ro 0 0
/dev/sd0e	/home	ffs	rw 0 3
/dev/sd0g	/var	ffs	rw 0 4
/dev/sd1a	/gig	ffs	rw 0 6

Don't ask where 5 went, I've shuffled my partitions around so many times
I've lost count (I originally installed NetBSD on just my internal drive,
that drive is now dead in a box in the corner ;).

-Simon Raahauge DeSantis