Subject: Re: off topic: Mac Serial port speed & BSD
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1998 21:49:39
>On Jul 4, 12:37pm, Roger Fischer wrote:
>>On old Macs, (centris) I seem to remember that the serial port speed
>>should not be set above 38400 because it just can't keep up.
>
>FWIW, I always ran my 28.8 modem on my C610 at a 56.7K port speed.
>
>~Steve

Under MacOS, I'd always used 57,600 on my Mac SE & never had any trouble (8
Mhz 68000)! To my knowlege, the only computer that had bad serial ports was
the original LC. That was a hardware bug. All others should easily be able
to handle running at 57600.

Similarly, to my knowlege, NetBSD will have a harder time keeping up with
fast serial ports activity, because of the way the Mac's interrupts are set
up (a la clock losing time). Also Macs are kinda messed up in the way that
they handle hardware handshaking, which is why we use at&f1 while the rest
of the world uses at&f for a regular stock init string (at least on modems
until 14.4...I went straight to ISDN from there & don't know at commands on
current modems). Significant progress was made on the handshaking issue
like 6 months ago though, if memory serves.

As always, y'all are free to correct me, as I personally am just a sponge
who isn't involved in developing these capabilities within NetBSD & am not
intimately familiar with them.

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.