Subject: Re: a little problem on Quadra 605...
To: Augey Mikus <mikus@shell.flinet.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1998 17:09:50
Augey Mikus <mikus@shell.flinet.com> wrote:

>on at least my mac Quadra 605, the booter finishes and attempts to load
>NetBSD, it prints the first line win loading the kernel (something about
>NetBSD symbol table) then locks up.
>
>has anyone experienced this problem?

As I recall the Q605 and one of the LCs use the same motherboard but use
different parts of the Mac ROM.  The Gestalt IDs are the same so it
wasn't possible to determine which set of ROM routines to use in NetBSD
for the MRG Kernels.  So if you're trying to boot a GENERIC or GENERICSBC
Kernel I'd suggest trying a HWDIRECT one instead. (This is one of the
main reasons the MRG ROM solution was never going to work across the
entire 68K family for us.)  As best I can remember the MRG routines are
currently defaulted to the LC version, not the Q605.

Of course I could be wrong as this is all from memory that I have of
working on this problem some time ago.

-bob