Subject: Re: An update...
To: Justin R. Smith <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/02/1998 19:12:10
>of NetBSD boots properly on my P475 (with 68040) beyond 1.3.
>
>I have no trouble booting 1.3.2 --- I had to update the base distribution as
>well
>as the kernel to accomplish this.
>
>One minor point: Now that I've done this, a small bug in the display has
>resurfaced (i.e., it was handled in a previous release). The entire display
>appears to be shifted up by about 5 pixels (so the top line is chopped off
>and
>a band appears at the bottom of the screen showing the Mac display before
>I booted NetBSD). This is very minor, however.

Hmmm. Scott cleaned up the grf driver a little bit before 1.3.2. Perhaps
something got lost in the translation?

The trouble is, the 475 is a machine with Quadra style video...almost. The
patch
that I sent in to fix that bug as well as other Quadra video bugs relies on
proper behavior from the video controller. However, it seems the 475's video
controller is different enough from the standard flavor to be annoying :)

I'm addressing these issues in my intvid kernels. I'm going to be picking up
some Quadras for cheap over the next few months to experiment on. I used
to use my school's Quadras but I graduated and moved to my job which is nowhere
near my school.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill