Subject: scsi driver question
To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/02/1998 11:28:13
On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Hauke Fath wrote in the thread "constant problems":

> [T]he old ncrscsi vs. sbc SCSI driver issue... There
> are two drivers in the NetBSD/mac68k tree for the NCR 53c80 SCSI chip. Each
> of them works with some drives and fails miserably with others (that's why
> we ship both of them...).
>
> [snip]
> In short: If you experience disk-related problems with a GENERIC kernel on
> a 53c80 equipped machine (all '030 Macintoshes and the PowerBooks), try a
> GENERICSBC kernel.

Okay, I'm about to upgrade the drive in a IIci running 1.3.1 from a 250MB
drive which needed the sbc driver (thanks to Colin for pointing that out a
while back...) to a 700MB Quantum trailblazer. At least I assume it's a
trailblazer since the label says "700MB TRBLS 655-0244" but refuses to
actually name the model of the drive. It originally came from a PowerMac
7100/80 if that helps. Anyway, I was curious if anyone had used such a drive
and which driver you've used. I'll probably stick w/ sbc since that's
working now and I'll most likely have to mount both to transfer the files,
but if anyone can tell me by experience which driver has worked for them,
I'd appreciate it.

On a somewhat unrelated note, if you add a second drive to a machine and
drive A only works w/ ncr and drive B only works w/ sbc, are you simply
screwed? d:)

Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>