Subject: IBM DCAS-34330 woes?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei@ps.yokogawa.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/02/1998 14:33:37
Hi,

I purchased IBM DCAS-34330 (narrow) and tried to use it
under NetBSD, but no success.  Is anybody else there
experienced similer problem?

I made partitions as described below on it with HD/SC Setup
hacked for non-Apple drives, or with pdisk under NetBSD.

* This drive doesn't have Apple ROM, so it can't be updated
its driver or inited with HD/SC Setup, but partitionning is
ok.

Mac driver	  16kB
Root file system  20MB   (/)
Swap		  96MB
MacOS		 400MB
Usr file system	 600MB   (/usr)
Usr file system	  96MB   (/tmp)
Usr file system	   1.0GB (/var)
Usr file system	   1.8GB (/cvsroot)

I newfs'ed the partitions. (root, /usr, etc.) with
Mkfs-1.45.  All done with no errors.

In the Installer 1.1g (hacked for removable media),
disklabel showed all partitions I made.

Though It recoglized root (sd1a) and usr (sd1g) partition,
when I tried to mount other partition, the SCSI error #5 (I
have no exact messages in handy for the moment) occured and
failed.  All of the mount point I tried are there, and
device files are created.

What is worse, when I try to access (diskalbel, mount, dd,
etc.) the drive under NetBSD, it hung up completely.

Interrupt SW doesn't work at all, so only I can do is
prssing the reset SW to reboot the mashine.

The drive is recognized normaly as well when auoconfig time,
though.

My environments: Macintosh II ci w/ Daystar PowerCache accl.
20MB RAM, System 7.5.3 Japanese, internal IBM DORS-32160
which is currently used, NetBSD-1.3 binary.

I tested my own kernel based 1.3.1, stock 1.3.  Both of them
are using the sbc driver.

I tried -current snapshot kernel dated 19980627 from
ftp.netbsd.org, but it won't boot with my booter 1.11.1
(hang just after 'So I sez to him...').

I'm going to try (a) kernels with ncr driver, (b) upgrading
my binaries to 1.3.2.

If you need more info, please let me know.  I'll post them
when I back home.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei@ps.yokogawa.co.jp>
Happy Hacking!