Subject: Re: Mkfs 1.45 problems
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1998 20:21:28
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:

>BTW, is anyone working on adding newfs support to Mkfs and the Installer,
>or are we just going to wait until we can use newfs directly from a
>miniroot and install in a similar fashion?

Yes and yes.  I've started on a new version of Mkfs that uses the Mklinux
pdisk I/O routines so it can handle SCSI and IDE disks.  It looks like it
will also take care of the old errors messages people keep seeing too.
I'm also working on a different (hopefully more user friendly) interface.
I'm trying to help users not shoot themselves in the foot by only
presenting options that are valid or sensible at that point in the
process.  Most of that is now working and my next step is to port over
the current version of newfs to MacOS.  I haven't spent as much time on
it as I shoould have though as it was beginning to look like the
miniroot/install method was just about here.  Also I never heard back
from anyone who might be working on the IDE disk driver for NetBSD. I
figured it that was close to happening I'd have to get my act in order
with Mkfs.

So if there's a real desire and/or need I might get motivated and get
something working.

-bob