Subject: Mkfs 1.45 problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Marohn <marohn@iquest.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1998 18:38:19
>Is 1.45 the latest version of Mkfs?
>
>I used Silverlining to partition a hard drive as follows:
>/     => 100Mb
>swap  =>  64Mb
>/usr  => 450Mb  (actually what's left over)
>/home => 100Mb
>
>The problems are:
>
>1.  I format the following partitions in order: /, /usr, /home.  After
>    the install, df reports the size of /home to be about 613Mb with
>    about 30Mb free.  I did a newfs from the UNIX side and df reports
>    the size to be 99Mb.
>
>2.  After severe file system damage, I decided to re-install everything.
>    I formated the partitions in this order: /, /home, /usr.  After
>    installing everything, df reports the size of /home to be 190MB and
>    /usr to be around 600MB.  I didn't trust this so....
>
>3.  I reformatted again. This time I formatted one partition and then quit
>    Mkfs.  I did this for each partition. The order is: /usr, /home, /.
>    The results are pending  ( I'm installing the minimum as I am
>    writing this).

The results are in: df reports correct (expected) sizes for the partitions.
Now I will continue the install.  Maybe it is the install program messing
things up. Hopefully not.

One more annoyance.  The file systems had to fsck'd.  I thought that the
install program should do this.

Later,
John

marohn@iquest.net