Subject: Re: Booter problems under System 7.6.1
To: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Andrew James ROBBIE <ajrobb@students.cs.mu.OZ.AU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1998 16:45:00
nigel@ind.tansu.com.au said:

> > at which point it crashes badly (after it has sucessfully changed
> > to B&W mode).
>
> 	Is the MacOs screen still displayed when it crashes?
> Or has the NetBSD console cleared the screen?

I have tried again with the 1.11.2 booter, but the same problems
occur. However, I seem to have isolated the problem.

In the booter options it lets you change your screen resolution and
colour depth. If these options are disabled, and I change my monitor
depth to B&W in the Monitors control panel, then everything works
ok.

However, if the 'Change depth to: B&W' option is checked, then it
will crash. The symptoms:

    - changes bit depth to B&W
    - still displaying MacOS, it crashes:
        - the screen is shrunk to about 1/4 size and repeated in
        one horisontal row 4 times across the screen, and a bomb
        box (which is very tiny) is displayed. I would estimate
        it is trying to show 21 inches of image in about 5 inches.
        - trying the panic button DOES work, but it uses the
        extremely tiny-weeny resolution. I was able to do
        'sm 0 a9f4 RETURN g 0 RETURN' (force quit), and then it
        was working ok except it was still tiny.

This is a IIvx with a single Apple 2-page greyscale display (on
the IIvx that means 16 greys) with matching nubus card. Virtual
Memory is off, 32bit addressing is on.

> 	Second, make sure that all the other OS things are as they
> should be (like VM off, LocalTalk disabled, et cetera).

Is having localtalk disabled important? I have a LaserWriter
Plus, which needs localtalk, but the printer is the only thing
connected. It never caused any problems under 7.1 (not that I
was networking netbsd to anything anyway).

TIA,
Andrew

--
a.robbie@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au