Subject: Re: Floating point & getty errors
To: m. d. walker" , "NetBSD List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1998 13:01:08
On 5/31, you "m. d. walker" < mwalker@en.com> wrote:
>For the past few weeks my system has been running smoothly. I have been
>playing with various commands, but mostly with vi. Vi hung on me once and I
>was forced to reboot the Mac via the power key. Ever since, I have been
>getting this weird message on booting into multi-user mode:
>
>init: can't exec getty '/usr/lebexec/getty' for port /dev/ttye0: no such
>file or directory

Which file were you editing/examining when vi hung?  That might be a good
clue about what went wrong.  I'm speculating here, but is it possible
that the file got locked (by vi) and never unlocked?  Some OS's unlock
such files during boot.  I don't know how Linux handles locking.  Maybe
running vi on it again and closing properly might help ?

...Harlan