Subject: Re: more OSFA stuff
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1998 11:47:07
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> There was just some talk about the broken colors on machines using the OSFA
> color xserver (in my case,  on a quadra700 with GENERIC#0 1.3.1 kernel). I
> tried disabling all the color extensions in MacOS, but that doesn't seem to
> be doing a bit of good - the color "difference" is the same (xsetroot
> -solid blue is making the screen background green consistently, as opposed
> to random colors).
>
> Did anyone find a way to get around the broken colors?

I don't think that there is a good way on a Q700, especially since it
won't do 16-bit color :-(

> Incidently, the broken colors are not only showing up on internal video,
> but on the nubus monitor, which is using the color lkm.  The color changes
> in both monitors are also the same.
>
> What did work fine: color xserver (Colin's, I think) with 1-bit internal
> video, and 8-bit nubus video.
>
> Sorry for bringing up old stuff,

My version of the color LKM doesn't handle multiple monitors all that well
(or at least I really doubt that it would).  I made a rather gross hack to
get the bus_space stuff to work with Taras' code that will not scale up to
more than one monitor easily.  Now, of course, that shouldn't affect a
setup with the internal video....

On the other hand, the OSFA X server has a number of useful options which
might help you here....I think that you can specify which monitor gets
which color depth.  Take a look at the README for the server.

You might also try switching which monitor is the "main" monitor via the
Monitors control panel under MacOS.

I hope this helps some.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation