Subject: Floating point & getty errors
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: m. d. walker <mwalker@en.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1998 13:44:55
For the past few weeks my system has been running smoothly. I have been
playing with various commands, but mostly with vi. Vi hung on me once and I
was forced to reboot the Mac via the power key. Ever since, I have been
getting this weird message on booting into multi-user mode:

init: can't exec getty '/usr/lebexec/getty' for port /dev/ttye0: no such
file or directory

Then nothing. This message repeats every so often, and I have to manually
reboot the Mac to get out of this cycle.

I then boot into single user mode to check out this error.  I snoop the
getty file with "more getty" and it responds "Floating point exception."
This doesn't sound good to me. (My original purpose was to follow the
recommendations on the FAQ 10.14.)

Deciding to ignore this error I decide to try and get back into multi-user
mode by using 'exit' which runs through its list of checks and then I get a:

panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
stopped at _Debugger +0x6: unlk ag

db>

>From there I enter 'reboot' and check the past messages digests.

Again I boot into single user mode and do a fsck -f and respond 'y' to all
queries.

Now, upon entering single user mode, (multi-user just goes into this
endless cycle) certain commands respond with "Floating point exception."
(i.e., man, vi, sed and a few others.)

Hopefully this makes sense. I have not screwed with any of my (dot) files,
nor the kernel, other than to snoop them.

Can anyone determine, or guess, as to what I may have done wrong?  I'm
using a Q630 and have never received these errors until I had to hard boot
from the vi hang.

Thank you,
Mike