Subject: Re: Modem
To: Paul Thompson <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1998 07:20:19
On Sun, 31 May 1998, Paul Thompson wrote:

> When I try pppd or cu it doesn't even get to dialing the modem, so I don't
> think that it's my settings in the pppd setup.
>
> When I try CU I get the following:
>
> purgatory# cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 19200
> Connected.
> cu: write: Input/output error
>
> Disconnected.
> purgatory#

I've never been able to get cu to work, either. But pppd and kermit both
work fine.

> under pppd I get Connect Script failed. (Not a lot of help :-) ). I have
> even rebuilt all the device files. So my basic question is how do I get
> this damn modem to go? :-) BTW, if it's important the modem works just
> great under MacOS 7.5

Perhaps it's your setup string, in your chat script. Try adding the "-v"
option to "chat". Then you'll be able to see where the modem is giving an
unexpected response by viewing /var/log/messages. If you see "ERROR" after
AT&F&SOMETHING, try changing the corresponding line in your chat
invocation to the same thing you're using under MacOS. One way to get
_that_ is to set the "verbose" checkbox in the PPP control panel options,
then "view log" from the pull-down menu. The other would be to open your
modem script with a text editor.

The chat invocation could be in /etc/ppp/options, it could be in
/etc/ppp/peers/isp-name (None of the kits do this.), or, if you're
invoking pppd with a script, it could be in the command line that contains
pppd.

BTW... I see that message routinely, whenever I have a voice-mail message
waiting. The wierd dialtone make the modem report "NO DIALTONE", and that
triggers the "ABORT NO" line in my chat script. In your case, you'll just
have to view the output of chat, to see what your modem is trying to say.