Subject: Finally Got It Working!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Ulreich <bradbu@erols.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1998 01:51:44
I finally got 1.3 installed successfully and booting and I'd like to
thank all who replied to my harried questions! It helped me a lot...

You might remember, I was the guy who had the "Error on SCSIRead(), #5"
problem with my Quantum Fireball. Ultimately, what led to my success was
partitioning using pdisk 68k and to format using Mkfs_1.45 [of course].

Looking back at all the times I got the SCSIRead #5 error, I had either
partitioned using FWB, or I was installing on an unaltered partition
that I'd previously tried to install on. To make it clearer, the two
times I didn't encounter the #5 error, I was installing on a freshly
pdisk partitioned and Mkfs formatted disk. [my first 'successful'
install was cut short because I'd neglected to mount my /usr partition,
so my /root filled to the brim]

It's interesting to note that, even though I'd been advised to make a
separate /root and /usr partition, and in fact was successful avoiding
the #5 error after doing so, my final install was on a combined
root&user partition. Curiously, this means that most of the setup advice
I got on how to avoid this error - put the NetBSD partitions at the
front of the drive; use a separate /root & /usr partition - I did not
do, and what it seemed to boil down to was making sure I had a freshly
partitioned drive by pdisk, before I began.

Now that I'm logged on, so to speak, I have to start dealing with
altering .conf files, so I can run X. Any advice on how exactly to do
this? Now I'm really out of my depth. And is there a better text editor
than vi that I can use?

Thanks again,
Brad