Subject: Booter fails to find kernel
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/30/1998 09:38:24
The Booter displays this messge:

	Booting...File "netbsd.2hi" not found
	Could not open kernel "(0,?)netbsd.2hi"

on my system whenever the inode number of the kernel >= 47500.
I know this because there happen to be three in a row with inode numbers
47499, 47500, 47501. One of these used to boot, and I got the other to
work by deleting some files and "cp"'ing it before "mv", thus taking the
identical file to a lower inode number. Same thing with Booter 1.11.1 and
1.11.2.

A strange thing recently occurred with a new kernel. It booted at first,
but at some point, there were all kinds of wierd errors in single user
mode--"..executable is in wrong format"; also "sh" complained that it
couldn't parse simple commands like ``mount -u /''. I had thought at the
time, that my filesystem was corrupted. The problems uncovered by fsck:
one directory named ",", and "summary information bad," don't really
explain this problem. Perhaps these two oddities are related.

There are other problems with this file-system. It was originally made
with ``newfs -O ...'', and then later upgraded with ``fsck -c 1 ...''.
``fsck -c 3'' dumps core, and then I had to use ``fsck -b 2'' to clean up.
It now won't take ``newfs -n ...'' without complaining

	newfs: /dev/rsd0a: bad rotational layout count

Therefore, I really couldn't say if it's a bug in the Booter, or if the
problem is dependant on this particular file-system.

It's reproducible as described. All the kernels made now come in with high
inode numbers, but of course that could easily change. I won't be able to
back up and rebuild this filesystem anytime soon, and intend to keep at
least one kernel around for testing. I'm willing to work with whoever is
currently working on the Booter.