Subject: boot problems
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/1998 18:57:47
	I've been trying to get a -current kernel to run on my Q630 and I
FINALLY got one to not uvm panic. ;-) Then, that kernel (sources supped
about a week ago) died after IP Filter initialization. This is the first
kernel I have gotten to compile without modification from -current. But, I
still get this error during bootup (past single user, into multi-user)

[snip]
IP Filter: <message>
ioctl(SIOCADDFR): invalid argument
ioctl(SIOCADDFR): invalid argument
ioctl(SIOCADDFR): invalid argument
ioctl(SIOCADDFR): invalid argument
configuring networking interfaces: sn0.
[snip]

	I got this kernel to compile and run after I removed most of the
file system config options from my config file. I included the config file
at the end ;-)

	Anyways... anybody know what could be causing this error? I first
noticed it in a kernel Allen Briggs compiled for me to get the external
SCSI bus on my Q900 working. It showed up right around then, like a month
ago? I thought I had told him about it... but since it's not been fixed I
guess not ;-)

	Any ideas?

	Ryan

-- /sys/arch/mac68k/conf/BRAHMS --

#
# BRAHMS

include "arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k"

maxusers        32              # estimated number of users

# Let's try optimizing this kernel...
makeoptions     COPTS="-O2 -m68040"

# CPU support.  At least one is REQUIRED.
options         M68040
#options        M68030
#options        M68020          # Note:  must have 68851 PMMU

# CPU-related options.
options         FPSP
#options        FPU_EMULATE

# Standard system options

options         UCONSOLE        # users can use TIOCCONS (for xconsole)
options         INSECURE        # disable kernel security levels

options         RTC_OFFSET=0    # hardware clock is this many mins. west
of GMT
#options        NTP             # NTP phase/frequency locked loop

options         KTRACE          # system call tracing via ktrace(1)

options         SYSVMSG         # System V-like message queues
options         SYSVSEM         # System V-like semaphores
options         SYSVSHM         # System V-like memory sharing
#options        SHMMAXPGS=1024  # 1024 pages is the default

options         LKM             # loadable kernel modules

# Diagnostic/debugging support options
options         DIAGNOSTIC      # cheap kernel consistency checks
#options        DEBUG           # expensive debugging checks/support
#options        KMEMSTATS       # kernel memory statistics (vmstat -m)
options         DDB             # in-kernel debugger
#options        DDB_HISTORY_SIZE=100    # enable history editing in DDB
#options        KGDB            # remote debugger
#options        KGDBDEV=0xc01   # kgdb device number (dev_t)
#options        KGDBRATE=38400  # baud rate
#makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table

# Compatibility options
#options        COMPAT_NOMID    # compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD
0.8,
#options        COMPAT_09       # NetBSD 0.9,
options         COMPAT_10       # NetBSD 1.0,
options         COMPAT_11       # NetBSD 1.1,
options         COMPAT_12       # NetBSD 1.2,
options         COMPAT_13       # NetBSD 1.3,
options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD

options         COMPAT_SUNOS    # binary compatibility with SunOS 4.x
binaries
#options        COMPAT_M68K4K   # compatibility with NetBSD/m68k4k
binaries

# File systems
file-system     FFS             # UFS
#file-system    EXT2FS          # second extended file system (linux)
#file-system    LFS             # log-structured file system
#file-system    MFS             # memory file system
file-system     NFS             # Network File System client
file-system     CD9660          # ISO 9660 + Rock Ridge file system
#file-system    MSDOSFS         # MS-DOS file system
file-system     FDESC           # /dev/fd
file-system     KERNFS          # /kern
#file-system    NULLFS          # loopback file system
#file-system    PORTAL          # portal filesystem (still experimental)
file-system     PROCFS          # /proc
#file-system    UMAPFS          # NULLFS + uid and gid remapping
#file-system    UNION           # union file system

# File system options
options         QUOTA           # UFS quotas
#options        FFS_EI          # FFS Endian Independant support
options         NFSSERVER       # Network File System server
options         FIFO            # FIFOs; RECOMMENDED
#options        EXT2FS_SYSTEM_FLAGS # makes ext2fs file flags (append and
                                # immutable) behave as system flags.

# Networking options
options         GATEWAY         # packet forwarding
options         INET            # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP
#options        MROUTING        # IP multicast routing
#options        NS              # XNS
#options        NSIP            # XNS tunneling over IP
#options        ISO,TPIP        # OSI
#options        EON             # OSI tunneling over IP
#options        CCITT,LLC,HDLC  # X.25
options         NETATALK        # AppleTalk networking protocols
options         PPP_BSDCOMP     # BSD-Compress compression support for PPP
options         PPP_DEFLATE     # Deflate compression support for PPP
options         PPP_FILTER      # Active filter support for PPP (requires
bpf)
options         PFIL_HOOKS      # pfil(9) packet filter hooks
options         IPFORWARDING    # IP forwarding
options         IPFILTER_LOG    # allows logging of IP packets

# Compatibility with 4.2BSD implementation of TCP/IP.  Not recommended.
#options        TCP_COMPAT_42

# These options enable verbose messages for several subsystems.
# Warning, these may compile large string tables into the kernel!
options         SCSIVERBOSE     # human readable SCSI error messages

# Mac-specific options
options         ZS_CONSOLE_ABORT
options         DISABLE_EXT_CACHE # Don't use IIci external cache
#options        MRG_ADB         # Use ROM-based ADB driver
options         ALTXBUTTONS     # Map Opt-{1,2,3} to mouse buttons

#options        NFS_BOOT_BOOTP

# Kernel root file system and dump configuration.
config          netbsd  root on ? type ?

#
# Device configuration
#
mainbus0 at root

fpu0 at mainbus?                        # Floating-Point Coprocessor
support

# Basic Bus Support

# On-board I/O bus support
obio0 at mainbus?

# NuBus support
nubus0 at mainbus?

# Console Devices

# Apple Desktop Bus interface
adb0    at obio?                        # ADB event device

# Basic frame buffer support
intvid0 at obio?                        # Internal video hardware
macvid* at nubus?                       # NuBus video card

# Device-independent frame buffer interface
grf*    at intvid?
grf*    at macvid?

# Integrated Terminal Emulator (console) support
ite0    at grf?
# Serial Devices

# On-board serial interface
zsc0    at obio?
zstty*  at zsc? channel ?

# SCSI Controllers and Devices

# SCSI controllers
# XXX - use only one of ncrscsi or sbc
ncrscsi0 at obio?                       # SCSI NCR 5380
#sbc0   at obio? flags 0x1              # MI SCSI NCR 5380
esp0    at obio?                        # SCSI NCR 53C9x
esp1    at obio?                        # SCSI NCR 53C9x

# SCSI bus support
scsibus* at scsi?

# SCSI devices
sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI disk drives
st*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI tape drives
cd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI CD-ROM drives
ch*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI autochangers
se*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI ethernet
ss*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI scanners
uk*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI unknown

# Network Interfaces

# On-board Ethernet controllers
sn*     at obio?                        # SONIC-based (DP83932, DP83916)
#mc*    at obio?                        # MACE-based

# NuBus Ethernet controllers
ae*     at nubus?                       # DP8390-based
sn*     at nubus?                       # SONIC-based (DP83932, DP83916)

# Audio Devices

# On-board audio hardware
asc0    at obio?                        # ASC/EASC audio

# Pseudo-Devices

# disk/mass storage pseudo-devices
pseudo-device   ccd             4       # concatenated/striped disk
devices
pseudo-device   md              1       # memory disk device (ramdisk)
pseudo-device   vnd             4       # disk-like interface to files

# network pseudo-devices
pseudo-device   bpfilter        12      # Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device   ipfilter                # IP filter (firewall) and NAT
pseudo-device   loop                    # network loopback
pseudo-device   ppp             2       # Point-to-Point Protocol
pseudo-device   sl              2       # Serial Line IP
#pseudo-device  strip           2       # Starmode Radio IP (Metricom)
#pseudo-device  tun             2       # network tunneling over tty

# miscellaneous pseudo-devices
pseudo-device   pty             64      # pseudo-terminals
#pseudo-device  tb              1       # tablet line discipline

# rnd is EXPERIMENTAL at this point.
#pseudo-device  rnd                     # /dev/random and in-kernel
generator
#options        RND_COM                 # use "com" randomness as well
(BROKEN)

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!