Subject: Re: Partioning Free Space?
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/1998 21:45:40
On Tue, 26 May 1998, Christopher R. Bowman wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 1998 bradbu@erols.com wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know of a Mac disk utility that can partition Free Space? I
> >needed to change my NetBSD partitions [root&user 300MB - swap 40MB], so
> >I deleted both. Now I have Apple Free Space totalling 340MB, but I want
> >to repartition this space into 40 swap/80 root/220 user without having
> >to re-backup my 1 gig and reformat the entire thing and start again. Any
> >ideas?
>
> I think silverlining will do what you want.

I just did something like that, using Silverlining. The only bad thing is,
in certain cases, it leaves unnecessary partititions (The Apple Free
Space) and duplicate partition entries in the first few sectors. These
have caused problems for me in the past.  After Silverlining, when you run
Mkfs to set the partition types, notice if there are more partitions
displayed than you thought you had. If so, you can clean it up with a disk
editor. I can supply details for doing that with Norton's Disk Editor, if
you need that.