Subject: HWDIRECT #71 is broken again :(
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/1998 13:41:14
Sorry to bother all of you again, but the latest -current kernel (numbered
#71) appears to be broken again on some machines (specifically, the
Performa 630 series, and probably others). The problem is that it cannot
boot successfully into multi-user mode. I have been able to kinda sorta
boot into single user and do some stuff there, although it tends to panic
sometimes even in single user mode.

The symptom of the breakage is usually that it hangs during boot, sometimes
with the disk drive light on (eek). The hangs are often preceded by the
message "ld.so: bad magic", often repeated several times... btw, does this
mean that the magic number on the ld.so executable was read incorrectly, or
that it was read incorrectly from one of the shared libraries that ld.so
was trying to load/map into memory? I've also seen some panics, although
they are kinda random (in other words, not reproducible). One of the panic
error messages that I remember was "bus error trap". Hope that helps.

BTW: HWDIRECT #70 worked great on this machine. Yes, it was a UVM kernel.

BTW: This machine has a 68LC040 chip, but this problem is way beyond the
FPE bug and didn't occur before, with 1.3.1 or 1.3D or HWDIRECT #70. This
problem is nearly identical to the problem that occurred with the UVM
version of HWDIRECT #69 (but not the old-VM version).

BTW: All the -current kernels mentioned here are HWDIRECT because of a
separate problem with MRG. I haven't tried GENERIC #71 yet to see if this
is fixed.

--
- Rolf Braun - rbraun@cstone.net - http://www.cstone.net/~rbraun/
- Sassy Software: cool software for your Macintosh or Apple IIgs

- Anyone attempting to post messages or send e-mail using my address without
- my permission will be held liable for forgery and subject to legal action.