Subject: Re: Beginner Questions
To: None <windcatcher@earthlink.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/25/1998 16:44:31
On Sun, 24 May 1998 15:33:54 -0400,
Robert Oelkers <windcatcher@earthlink.net> wrote:

> 1st question: Should these be moved to /usr? (the FAQs all seem to imply
> that's where they
>  usually are)

Yes, they usually are in /usr/src, but it doesn't really matter.
I keep my source in a separate filesystem mounted at /s, though I also
have symlinks /usr/src -> /s/src, /usr/xsrc -> /s/xsrc, /usr/pkgsrc ->
/s/pkgsrc, etc.

> 2nd question: Once "config" is compiled and working can you remove the
> src files? Better to keep them?

You can delete the source, but you might have to reinstall it when you
want to recompile config again.

> 3rd question: Where can I get more info on "make". I've used "make
> depend" "make" and "make install"
>  but I don't understand what to use when!! (Been thru "man", "FAQ" and
> "Sys Admin Handbook")

I don't know where to start, but I thought there was a Nutshell book
on make from O'Reilly.  IIRC, it was a pretty good introduction.

> 4th question: How do I (gracefully) get out of (exit) the debugger
> "db>"?

The `c' command to let the system continue to run, or `reboot' to
reboot the system.  When you get the kernel to panic, the `c' command
does almost the same thing as `reboot' except it may create the crash
dump if enabled (see savecore(8)).

For more information, see ddb(4).

Ken