Subject: Beginner Questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Oelkers <windcatcher@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1998 15:33:54
My setup: NetBSD 1.3E, MacIIci, Radius Video Card, Asante Ethernet Card,
350 mg Int. Hard Drive,
 Syquest 44, Apple CD-ROM.

In an effort to get my video card and ethernet card working together. (I
had to remove ethernet until
video interrupt was solved). I tried newer Kernels until Alan Briggs
compiled one for me that works.
Now I have "proc mismatch" errors and have read the FAQ concerning this
but before I plunge ahead I'd
like to post a few questions.

I downloaded "Config.tar.gz" and "sys.tar.gz" from
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src

I download from PowerCenter Pro clone and ethernet to macIIci. Then
(after pulling the ethernet
card) use installer or "cpin" from mini-shell. The directories were
placed "/src/sys" (sys.tar.gz)
and "/src/usr.sbin" (config.tar.gz)...

1st question: Should these be moved to /usr? (the FAQs all seem to imply
that's where they
 usually are)

When I compiled a kernel I first had to get "config" working. I did
"make depend", "make" and later
when it wasn't working right "make install". I was basically guessing at
this but it worked -- I was
able to compile a kernel. (But it didn't solve my video interrupt
problem, that came later)

2nd question: Once "config" is compiled and working can you remove the
src files? Better to keep them?

3rd question: Where can I get more info on "make". I've used "make
depend" "make" and "make install"
 but I don't understand what to use when!! (Been thru "man", "FAQ" and
"Sys Admin Handbook")

I better stop here...but just one more...

4th question: How do I (gracefully) get out of (exit) the debugger
"db>"?

Any help would be appreciated!

Are we having fun yet?

Windcatcher@earthlink.net