Subject: Re: X buttons and strange mice
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1998 11:01:35
Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp> wrote:

>I think you missed my point.  I was suggesting *optionally disabling*
>mouse button emulation by keyboard, not the other way (i.e. optionally
>enabling it).

Ken,

Yeah, guess I did miss your point, sorry.  Since I've been using a single
button Apple mouse I wasn't looking forward to loosing standard X support
in GENERIC and HWDIRECT kernels.  (Yes, the Control-Option-arrow requires
three hands and bubble gum but I'm getting pretty good at it now.)

Anyway, I like Paul Goyette's <paul@whooppee.com> suggestion even more
where he suggested:

>Perhaps this might a use for a machine-dependent sysctl-settable option?
>That way, we could distribute a GENERIC kernel which could work both
>ways.

I'd love to see this implemented in the i386 port for the Bus Mouse too.
Kind of makes one wonder which other options (port-dependent or
independent) might be handled this way.

-bob