Subject: Re: X buttons and strange mice
To: Ken Nakata" , "Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1998 07:23:25
Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp> wrote:

>BTW, do you think it would be useful if we could disable the
>key-mouse-button emulation altogather?  I do that when I build my
>custome kernel since I use a 3-button mouse.  But the change I make
>often gets reverted by a sup.  The change is trivial but I haven't
>been able to come up with a reasonably-descriptive-yet-not-so-long
>option name for it.  Something like KBDXBUTTONS or maybe
>NOKBDXBUTTONS.  What do you think?

If this was done people who run GENERIC (or HWDIRECT) Kernels with Apple
mice wouldn't be able to do X without a custom Kernel.  Many of these
people don't have the disk space to do a custom Kernel build, so I don't
think this is a good idea.  (Unless someone like Steve decides to put
together 1-button mice kernels along with GENERIC, HWDIRECT, UVM, etc.)

The i386 port does something like this for the Bus Mouse protocol.  It's
a real pain to have to do a custom kernel build for my laptop just to get
the pointing device and external mouse working.  At least they disabled
the APM code in the GENERIC kernel so it's at least possible to run a
GENERIC long enough to compile a custom Kernel.

-bob