Subject: Re: X after Update
To: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1998 14:06:23
On Sat, 23 May 1998, henning loeser wrote:

[I'm consolidating messages]

> On Fri, 22 May 1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > What kernel are you using? What source have you been trying to compile?
> > Do you have source for the X server (is it available?)?
> I'm using a 1.3.1 Kernel, not quite the generic as I disabeled some of
> the options I don't need.
> I got the sources for 1.3.1 -> the 1.3 sources and the diff-file for
> 1.3.1. I installed them and then simply ran make build, after editing the
> sys.mk to have -O2 -m68040 as CFLAGS.

Hmm. Sounds like a compiler problem. Try just compiling the whole world
w/ default CFLAGS, and see if your compiled programs behave differently
than the distribution ones. Then try adding the flags. I'd suggest doing
the build manually, step by step, and seeing where things crash. I mean,
install the libraries, and see what happens. Then install the rest of the
userland programs and see if all's well.

Another thing you can do is make the libraries with default options, and
see if your libraries differ from the distribution ones.

> I didn't compile the xsrc yet and I am using the Xmac68k.OSFA server
> from puma.

> I dind't see a SIGSYS errormessage, the error the gdb gives me was:
> (gdb) core Xmac68k.core
> Core was generated by `Xmac68k'.
> Cannot access memory at address 0x40a0.
>
> And furthermore I still get the same message when I have the base.tgz
> from the distribution installed and X runs fine ??!!!

You see the same message when you look at the core file, or when you run
X? If the core file hasn't changed, gdb should still keep giving you the
same message about how the program died to generate the core. I don't see
how X could be running if it keeps seg faulting.

Take care,

Bill