Subject: Re: Upgrading and 1.3.2
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1998 12:50:28
On Fri, 22 May 1998, Steve Revilak wrote:

> Recently, I've started to download the 1.3.1 binaries (making the
> transition from 1.3).  Couldn't help but notice the 1.3.2 directory.  Do we
> have a new version on the horizon?

yes.  that's all i can say for the moment.

> 	It looks like one needs to acquire and install the entire filesystem.
> Any sets that can be skipped, or am I correct in thinking that there's been
> a	little changed in all of them?

that's more or less accurate; you can reasonably skip the etc set, though,
as a lot of it is static configuration data.  i'm not aware of any changes
to /etc/rc or /etc/netstart, particularly, that will be required with this
upgrade, unlike the 1.2.x to 1.3 upgrade.

> 	The INSTALL doc mentions a change in location for some of the files from
> 1.2...any such changes from 1.3.1, or is one safe in unpacking the .tgz
> sets from / while in single-user?

no files have moved in the 1.3 -> 1.3.1 transition.  the general motto was
`if it isn't a bug fix, it doesn't belong in 1.3.1.'  you will be safe
simply unpacking the .tgz sets.

> 	I'd like to bypass the mac side of things for the install itself.  Since
> I have access to a CD writer on the mac side, I was planning on downloading
> the files on the mac side, then burning an ISO-9960 CD-ROM, mounting that
> from within NetBSD and unpacking.  Sound feasable?

quite.  i've done it myself, and it's nice to have the sets around in case
i want or need to reinstall, or to install on another of the various
systems i have here.  of course, you could also just download them to your
NetBSD file system and install from there, as well.

i'm going to make a specific recommendation, though:  get _only_ the 1.3.1
kernel if you're looking for some specific bug fixes (like the ADB fixes).
if you're going to spend the time downloading a 1.3.x release, wait a bit
for the 1.3.2 release and get that one, instead.

--scott