Subject: Re: newaliases (concerning 'sendmail')
To: Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.or.jp>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1998 13:56:59
On Sat, 23 May 1998, Shigeki Uno wrote:

> From: "Dr. Bill Studenmund" <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
> Subject: Re: newaliases (concerning 'sendmail')
> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > > I run fetchpop to get messages from my ISP mail server,and
> > > messages were written in "/var/spool/mail/shigeki".
> > Isn't that where they were supposed to go?
>
> That is right directory (or file?) where messages were supposed to go.

As Erik pointed out, no, it's not. (teach me to say something before the
morning's coffee!)

They should go into /var/mail/shigeki. You have two choices as to how to
fix the problem. Either change your configuration of fetchpop so it looks
in /var/mail, or make a symbolic link from /var/spool/mail to /var/mail.

Another option is to make use of the packages system, though I'm not sure
if fetchpop is in there (I'm away from the system which'd tell me). But

To merge the two mailboxes, I think "cat /var/spool/mail/shigeki >>
/var/mail/shigeki" should work. The ">>" will append the newer messages to
the previous messages in /var/mail/shigeki.

I don't understand why newaliases command looked at /var/spool/mail.

Take care,

Bill