Subject: Re: newaliases (concerning 'sendmail')
To: Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.or.jp>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1998 10:18:02
On Fri, 22 May 1998, Shigeki Uno wrote:

> I got a useful advice concerning setting up sendmail.cf a few
> days ago. that is:
>
>    ----------------------------
>    # chmod 644 /etc/sendmail.cf
>    # newaliases
>    ----------------------------
>
> Then I tried them and got some messages.
>
>    ------------------------------------------
>    # newaliases
>    WARNING! writable directry /var/spool/mail
>    /etc/aliases: 2 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 37 bytes total
>    ---------------------------------------------------------

Check the permissions on /var/spool/mail. If you're the only one using the
computer, they don't matter too much. If you are going to have a lot of
users, you might have security problems w/ the mail spool files. If you
leave the computer on, you will get daily insecurity reports which will
tell you of security problems, like the permissions on /var/spool/mail
being off.

> I run fetchpop to get messages from my ISP mail server,and
> messages were written in "/var/spool/mail/shigeki".
> How do I fix it ?

Isn't that where they were supposed to go?

Take care,

Bill