Subject: Re: a few questions
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1998 08:44:15
Steve Revilak wrote:
> "m. d. walker" <mwalker@en.com> wrote:

> >3) Is there a polite way to exit unix, rather than just rebooting the Mac?
>
> As a wheel member, you can use the command 'shutdown now' to bring the
> system to single user mode.  As root, type 'halt'.  A few seconds later
> you'll see the message 'you may turn the machine off or hit any key to
> reboot'.

Actually, you have to be an operator, not a member of wheel.  This is so
the operator (usually the poor schmuck who does backups and restores) can
shutdown or reboot the machine without having to be root.

BTW, you'll only see that message if you don't have a soft-power Mac (e.g.
an SE/30 or a Q/C610).  My Q700 and IIci both simply turn themselves off.

> >Now, if I can only keep from screwing everything up!
>
> Heh...that's half the fun of it!

Ain't it, tho :-)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation