Subject: Re: X after Update
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1998 11:00:33
On Thu, 21 May 1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > > You've got a library version mismach above, where one of the programs was
> > > wanting (was linked with) version 12.25 but only got version 12.20.
> >
> > That shouldn't cause core dumps, though...
Well at least it doesn't with the distributed 1.3.1 base.tgz. (That's
the one I am installing by the way as I thought that's what I was wanting
to compile too )
I allready got the same error from the Xmac68k.OSFA server under 1.3 and
1.3E. (I only switched back from current because I need the thing working
now and I'd like it to be a bit speedier (the -m68040 option for
compiling the whole system :-( )

> Hmm. I'm thinking more of the problem where one of the tables in libc
> grew, and that that broke programs. That might not apply here. Now that I
> think about it, it was a problem for programs linked against the older
> version but using the newer. Basically the table grew, and the loader
> would blindly copy the new, larger table into the space designated for the
> older smaller table, overwriting other variables in the process.

How could I figure that one out ? By the way is there a posibility to say
what adress the Server was trying to access at 0x40a0 ? That's where it
segfaulted according to the debugger.

Henning
Henning Loeser            AG-Oberfl"achenphysik, Philipps-Uni-MR
Email:henning.loeser@physik.uni-marburg.de