Subject: Re: Bad blocks, too
To: None <falk.stern@luene.net>
From: Kevin Havener <havenerk@Walden.MO.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1998 09:19:23
Well, you may be right.  I have the very same (size) drive as you .
BTW, mine is a LaCie external.  I have a Q650.  Beats the hell
outa me.  I just know that when I installed NetBSD, many others also
indicated trouble with Quantum Fireballs in the near 1G size.  Larger
ones seemed OK, as did smaller ones.  Maybe it's just a problem with one
production run, or maybe LaCie did something funny when they branded it.
Those branding irons get pretty hot, you know :-).

AFAICT, the drive works just fine once you get the system installed.
I've often wondered what would have happened if I had installed to a
separate root and user at the end of the disk.  The other thing Brad and
I have in common is our newness to the system.  Others who have replied
to this current thread are very familiar with MacBSD (Unix in general)and
may have used some multi partition setup that didn't let the problem crop
up, or who had a dedicated drive for NetBSD, or who accidentally partitioned
the drive in such a way as to put NetBSD in front.

Sooner or later, I'm going to blow away my 1.3 installation and go to a
1.3.x or 1.4.  Maybe I'll repartition the whole drive in such a way as to
repeat the problem.  Then I can get back with some of the gurus on the
list to try to run this problem to ground.

					Kevin