Subject: X after Update
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1998 11:57:22
> On Thu, 14 May 1998 22:09:27 +0200 (CEST),
> henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > after updating to 1.3.1 from 1.3 via a "make build" from the
> > sources I didn't get X to run anymore. Rebuilding the dev didn't help,
> > updating the /etc directory (well the rc script) neither.
> > Just reinstalling the base distrib gave me the desired X.
> > I'll include the x.log startupmessages.
>
> Nothing looks suspicious in the log until the last line.  Do you get
> the core dumped?  If you do, what is the stack trace (use gdb)?  How
> about making grf1 and grf2 devices? (though I have doubts the extra
> grf devices are going to help)
>
> > I would like to run a "make build" again for having "-O2 -m68040"
> > options compiled into the distrib. Will that "crash" my X again ?
>
> Not sure.  -O2 alone shouldn't make it crash, though.
>
> What is your system's configuration?  Especially your machine model
> and extra NuBus/PDS/CS devices if any.
>
> Ken

Sorry it took me a while to get to this again. I had to write some papers
on the machine and didn't want to tie it up compiling the system.
The error I get seems to be reproducable for me and this time I didn't
delete the .core files :-)
To the configuration :
Q700, 20MB Ram, 2MB Video (at 256 greys), MacCon Nubus Ethernetcard, HD.

After doing a make build again on the 1.3.1 sorces and waiting for about
26 hours I exited from single user and the system seemd to come up fine.
I could log in from console. Starting the xdm was when the problem
occured again. Ken's Xmac68k.OSFA server duped core, gdb gives:

#(gdb) core Xmac68k.core
#Core was generated by `Xmac68k'.
#Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#Cannot access memory at address 0x40a0.

and the xdm-errors:
#/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: libc.so.12.20: minor version >= 25 expected,
#using it anyway
#/dev/grf0: Couldn't get video mode information via ROM driver.
#        This is not a fatal error.
#        I gather there is no ROM driver support for this screen...
#        I will treat this screen as StaticGray or TrueColor.
#Screen 0 at 0x423ae00, 1152 by 870, 8 bpp, rowB 1152, fbbase 0xf9000000.
#xdm error (pid 25292): IO Error in XOpenDisplay
#xdm error (pid 25287): Display :0 cannot be opened

Reinstalling the base.tgz got everything working again.
May I not use the -O2 -m68040 options on compilation time ?
I was hoping for a little more speed, as I do have to run quite a few
haevy workloads on this poor old Quadra.

Will it help doing just a -O -m68040 build or to omit the -m68040 ???
I'd be thankfull for any help

humbly
Henning

Henning Loeser            AG-Oberfl"achenphysik, Philipps-Uni-MR
Email:henning.loeser@physik.uni-marburg.de