Subject: Re: Eureka!
To: m. d. walker <mwalker@en.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/20/1998 18:38:22
On Wed, 20 May 1998, m. d. walker wrote:

> After a successful install of all files, I was finally ready to for the
> Boot program.
>
> And its response:
>
> panic: ResHndls table too small
>
> So I bounced over to (http://routbort.neuro.duke.edu/netbsd/ ) check out
> some past postings on this error.
>
> When I disconnected my Kensington Mouse-in-a-box and hooked up my original
> mouse and retried the Boot program; Presto!

Good to know. The ADB folks will be interested in this. :-)

> (Okay, I'll admit it: I danced around the room a bit, and maybe yelled
> whoopie.)
>
> A few questions though:
>
> 1) When I get the prompt, it asks for my terminal type. I enter vt100, but
> do I need address this problem?

What's the exact message? Have you gotten a "login:" prompt asking for an
account name? If not, you're booting into single user mode, and need to
not. Chances are that you need to edit /etc/rc.conf (after making the root
file system read/write)...

> 2) I have to deselected all options relating to the serial console,
> otherwise the boot program gets as far as the quote, (The real way that it
> should be done is to...) lights up my modem like a christmas tree, then
> hang. There is obviously something wrong, but I cannot seem to find a
> reference to it. What might it be?

Nothing wrong. If you have serial console enabled, the computer is
expecting the console is connected to one of the serial ports, like the
modem port.

What do you want serial console to do?

> 3) Is there a polite way to exit unix, rather than just rebooting the Mac?

shutdown -r now or shutdown -h now

> Now, if I can only keep from screwing everything up!

That won't happen. :-) I've been doing this for a while, and I still screw
up stuff. Just keep learning from your mistakes, and you'll do well. :-)

Take care,

Bill