Subject: Bad blocks
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/19/1998 18:25:36
Recently, after much file system damage, I decided to reinstall NetBSD and,
at the same time, upgrade from 1.3 to 1.3.1. While deleting some files out
of /tmp, I got the following message:

bad block 44283136, ino 44207
usr 0 on /:bad block
bad block 44300288, ino 44207
usr 0 on /:bad block
bad block 44294144, ino 44207
usr 0 on /:bad block

I assume this means there're actual defects on the surface of the drive,
which would help explain why my files kept getting munged. Is there any way
to fix this short of reformatting the thing? If not, will mkfs remap the bad
blocks or do I have to go through Apple HD SC Setup (or other MacOS based
formatter)?

System Info: netbsd 1.3 GENERIC on a Mac IIci w/ 8MB RAM and a 250 MB HD
partitioned as 25 MB MacOS, 16 MB swap, rest AUX root&usr.

Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>