Subject: Re: g++ errors, and mac hosts files
To: Andy Sinesio <andy@imaginet.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/19/1998 11:43:45
Andy Sinesio wrote:
> Hey -
>
> When trying to compile a simple Hello, World program:
>
> #include <iostream.h>
>
> void main() {
>     cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
> }
>
> ---
>
> It compiles, but when I try and run it:
>
> bash$ ./a.out
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_tgetstr" in
> a.out:/usr/lib/libcurses.so.2.1
>
> bash$
>
> -----
>
> What is wrong?  The program works on other unix boxes.

This is in the FAQ.  There's a rather silly bug in gcc interacting poorly
with a problem with our shared libraries (or so I've been told).  You need
to link in an extra library.  If you can't find it in the FAQ, please let
me know.

> Also, I have an internal LAN that has my NetBSD machine and my Mac on it.
>  My hosts file on my NetBSD machine works great... it maps the 10.0.0.1
> and 10.0.0.2 addresses to their respective hostmasks wonderfully.  The
> only problem, is the mac end won't DNS resolve the names (obviously).
> so, I need to create a Hosts file.  What is the correct syntax for a Mac
> hosts file for Open Transport?   I'm trying to map 10.0.0.1 to
> www.sinesio.net, among others.

Hmmm....good question.  I was under the impression that it's the same
format as /etc/hosts is, but maybe not.  You might want to see if there is
a default one created.  Look in your System Folder to see if there is
already a hosts file there and edit it.

Personally, I setup named to handle this.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation