Subject: Re: Installation over a network...
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1998 23:07:39
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Allen Briggs wrote:

> That's how I installed NetBSD/i386.  I think the long-term plan is to
> have folks download the booter and a ramdisk kernel with 'sysinst'
> and utilities in the kernel's ramdisk.

this is in fact the plan.  it's not even so long-term; i've already done
the overwhelming majority of the work to get this running, at least in a
rudimentary fashion.

> The main problem with this
> right now is supporting people who want to install everything on a
> mac where they've downloaded images to a MacOS partition.  I.e., I think
> all we lack for this is a usable (read-only) HFS in the kernel that we
> can distribute.

*ding* give that man a prize!  a stable, non-General Public Virus-
constrained, read-only HFS file system is all that is necessary for this
to really take off.  if i ever get out from under some of my current
projects i'd like to take a whack at this.

--scott