Subject: Re: adb keyboards?
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1998 20:00:03
David A. Gatwood wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > > I might be getting an AppleDesign Keyboard, like one of those new ones
> > > that came with powermacs a few years ago - anyone know if it'll work on my
> > > quadra700? i'm running the generic#0 1.3.1 kernel.
> >
> > To the best of my knowledge, the AppleDesign keyboard behaves just like an
> > Extended keyboard, so it should be just fine.
>
> Very close, but there has to be some slight difference... don't know of
> any NetBSD problems with them, but under MkLinux, when the 7200's were
> first supported (or shortly thereafter), there was a problem with the
> AppleDesign keyboard (the adb code crashed -- the famous "hangs after
> mouse0 at..." bug -- possibly due to patches to support the keyboard
> lights, but I'm not certain about that).  What was weird was that
> switching to an extended keyboard (or perhaps an Extended Keyboard II?)
> would allow the systems to boot, so there has to be some difference.  No
> idea whatsoever about what that difference could be, though.  ;-)

I'd be quite willing to believe that it was a keyboard led issue.  I've
played with them some in my new ADB code, and I've managed to hang my
machines a number of times :-)  I was using an extended keyboard, tho.  I
think that there are some timing sensitive issues involving them...the
AppleDesign keyboard probably has tighter specs than the older ones, or
something like that.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation